Monday, February 9, 2015

TBR Survey because I can't help myself

I said to myself "I'm not going to do any more of those surveys for awhile. I think I'm getting to the point where I'm relying on these too much and I should back off." And then this weekend was busy and I'm trying to get posts done for the week and OH HEY, Sarah (naturally) has another survey and this one is more bookish than most. I am weak, what can I say.

1. How do you keep track of your TBR pile?
Goodreads. Totally on Goodreads. Otherwise it would just be a random list, maybe some titles on scrap paper, others in Excel, mostly in my head (meaning instantly forgotten). However, my Goodreads list is made up of both books I already own and need to read and just ones I want to read. I really should organize those better.

2. Is your TBR mostly print or ebooks?
OK, so my TBR is usually a wish list. However, there are random times throughout the year where my TBR list becomes more than theoretical and I suddenly find myself with a pile of books to get through. Right now is that time, and it's because I found a bunch of ebooks on sale that I wanted, so most of them are there. That said, I did just buy a physical book today, so yeah. Whoops.

3. How do you determine which book to read next?
Just like Sarah, I usually go for whatever I'm in the mood for, but I'm also trying for diversity. The book I bought today fits the diversity category (which NONE of my other books fit, which is sad) so I'm going for that as well. My goal is at least 1 book each month that meets at least one of the three criterion: the author isn't white, the author isn't from the US, the book was published before 2000. It really shouldn't be that difficult to hit, and yet.

4. A book that's been on your TBR list the longest: 
I just realized this today, and I'm sort of embarrassed by this, but a million years ago Emily sent me a copy of Any Given Day by Dennis Lehane which I haven't read yet, and only because the book is a physically large book and my shoulders groan at the thought. But I really WANT to read it and it's ridiculous I haven't yet.

5. A book you recently added to your TBR
I just bought Blindness by Jose Saramago. So that.

6. A book on your TBR strictly because of its beautiful cover
None I can think of, on either my "I want to read these but don't own it yet" list or my "I have actually bought you already" pile.

7. A book on your TBR that you never plan on reading
Wait...what? Then it wouldn't be on my TBR list. It would not be on any list because why would I keep a list of books I never plan on reading? I think you have misunderstood the purpose of a TBR list.

8. An unpublished book on your TBR that you're excited for
I don't know enough about the bookworld to get excited about specific books that aren't out yet. I guess I can go with more general ones, like whatever Game of Thrones book George RR is taking his time on (the next one is 2016 now? maybe?) and then in general I'm excited for whatever Bill Bryson, Christopher Moore, and Jasper Fforde have up their sleeves.

9. A book on your TBR that basically everyone has read but you
There are a lot. Americanah comes to mind first. I really will read that. Soon. Probably this year cos of that whole diversity goal.

10. A book on your TBR that everyone recommends to you
Well, Americanah. You know, cos basically everyone has read it and thus can recommend it. I mean I guess if everyone had read it they could NOT be recommending it. But if basically everyone has read it and they were all recommending AGAINST reading it, I'd probably take it off my TBR. So, yeah.

11. A book on your TBR that you're dying to read
If there was anything I was super dying to read, I would just read it next. Because I mostly pick my books based on mood.

12. How many books are on your Goodreads TBR shelf?
This is making some presumptions that I have said shelf. I mean, I DO cos I mentioned it in question 1, but still. Alright, I'm done being argumentative and will look it up. 226.
Damn. That's higher than I thought. And yet, I keep buying books not on said list. (Like Blindness...)