Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September Reading Wrap-Up

September is over and how it is HOLIDAY SEASON. First up, Halloween which I loooooooove even though I never do anything for Halloween beyond watch Nightmare Before Christmas. Although now that I typed that I realized last year I couldn't find my copy of Nightmare which is depressing. So I guess it will be more listening to the soundtrack while I watch Beetlejuice and try to figure out what the hell I did with my copy of that movie. Anyway.

I actually did pretty well in September with my reading. Which is surprising. I'm not really sure why or what about the season meant I made it through more books than I've been reading over the summer. But I did. Take that, past me.

Number of books read
7!
Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Kill Shakespeare: A Sea of Troubles by Conor McCreery, Anthony Del Col, and Andy Belanger
Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay
Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh (review from the first time I read it)
I Wear The Black Hat: Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman
Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach

Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix (turns out I actually read 8 books and somehow forgot this one)

Total pages read
2,091

Percentage of fiction read
43% - whaaaaa? Could this be why I got through so many books?

Percentage of female authors
57%

Percentage of white authors
86% - BUT NOT 100%

Percentage of US authors
100% - ::hangs head about new disappointing stat::

Percentage of ebooks
14% - I thought it was way more than that

Percentage of rereads
14%

Percentage of review books
0%

Books written by decade
2000s - 29%
2010s - 71%

Books by genre
Horror - 14%
Essays - 29%
Graphic novels - 29%
Science - 14%
Love story - 14%

So I marginally improved my white-people stat. Even though it was accidental. As in, I didn't actively TRY to find a book by a POC and instead just stumbled upon one. Which is how I like these stats to improve because then it doesn't involve extra effort on my part. Hooray lazy.

I also didn't realize I ended up reading so much nonfiction last month. How'd that happen? I wonder if that's why I got so much more read. Or maybe correlation doesn't equal causation and I don't have enough other information to say if that's really why.

Also I'm juuuuuust about caught up with my August reviews so will I be able to finish reviewing the September books before October is out? Probably not! But you never know.