Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Top 10 Characters I'd Never Want to Trade Places With

I haven't done the Broke and the Bookish's Tuesday Top Ten in awhile but I liked this week's prompt and also I don't have a book review ready. I also don't have a book read to review so yeah, it's going to be some time before I get to that point. In the meantime, here are the top ten characters I would never want to change places with.

1. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: Because OBVIOUSLY. I'm pretty sure this won't be an original selection but also, do not want to play the Hunger Games kthxbai.

2. Dana Franklin from Kindred by Octavia Butler: Dana is a black woman that gets sent back to antebellum Maryland and could things be shittier than that? Not really. In this case I would need to become Dana, or at least a black lady, for the terribleness to be at max levels.

3. Eddie Russett from Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde: Anytime you're dealing with a dystopia you know it's not somewhere you want to be. This is a place I might be able to handle but all the Leapbacks, the strict social structure, the attack swans. No thank you.

4. Anyone from 1984 by George Orwell: Actually, I guess being Big Brother wouldn't be so bad, but anyone else NO THANK YOU. I haven't read this book since high school (which means I'm probably due for a re-read) but that book scarred me.

5. Offred from The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood: Another one that's probably on a lot of lists but yeah, dystopian (again) world where women have no rights. At all.

6. Jack's Ma from Room by Emma Donoghue: Woman kidnapped and raped for YEARS while trying to make a normal world for her son. Yeah, no.

7. Anyone in the Lamberts family from The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen: Not a dystopia, but I think I'd rather take my chances in the Hunger Games. I don't even want to be a distant cousin of these guys.

8. Anyone in Dreamcatcher by Stephen King: Fart aliens. Do you need more? Sure there are lots of terrifying King worlds, but this one is scary and horrible.

9. Kathy H. from Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: It's hard to talk about this one without spoilers so I'm just going to say...reasons.

10. Piggy from Lord of the Flies by William Golding: This book. This book about how terrible little English boys are, apparently. I don't like camping in good, non-murdery conditions.  So this would just be a double whammy.