Saturday, October 12, 2013

Reeeaaaaaadathooooonnn

Readathon daaaay! Alice is forcing me had suggested that I should do this year's Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon. I agreed to it and since that time have done no preparations whatsoever. So this will be interesting.

Also, when I originally agreed to the readathon I had nothing going on today. I now have a family function I must attend to. Don't worry! I plan on making Boyfriend+ play an audiobook in the car and I figure I'll be anti-social and try to get some reading done when I probably should be socializing. Also there will be food so if nothing else, I'll have snacks covered during this time. Hopefully his family won't mind me snapping pictures.

So, the books:

I don't plan on reading everything here. I don't plan on reading most of what's here. This is just the TBR pile I have sitting near me and that seems like a good place to start. Top to bottom

World War Z by Max Brooks - This is the audiobook I mentioned before. I figured I needed something Halloween-y and also it's fantastic. I don't care if I've read the book twice before and listened to the audiobook earlier this year.
The Corrections by Franzey - You all know I'm doing that readalong right? You should joooin in.
Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson - OK, so this is actually my Kindle, but it has Alif on it. It has a lot of stuff on it so there's a good chance I'll pick up Attachments where I last left off for this readathon too.
Quiet by Susan Cain - I bought this about a month ago and keep saying I should read it. So hopefully I'll actually start it now
The Hours by Michael Cunningham - I believe I bought this right around the time of Quiet. Hooray sales racks.
Shakespeare's Insults by W.F. Hill and C.J. Ottchen - Who doesn't like some good Shakespearian insults?
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks - Yes, let's laugh at people seeking psychological help

At this point we get to my TBR books that I want to read, but they've been on the pile for over a year. Actually, I think I won a couple of them during a readathon I did 2 years ago...

The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke - I loved Strange & Norrell so I thought I should try this. I haven't yet...
With My Body by Nikki Gemmell - Not really sure what this one is about. Won it in a set of 5 mystery books.
When We Argued All Night by Aliuce Mattison - Another won book
The Given Day by Dennis Lehane - This one I do want to read cos I heart me some Lehane, it's just so big. My shoulders weep if they see me putting it near my purse.

Oh and question time!

1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today? 
I'm in NY for now and will be hopping over to NJ later. Then back in NY.

2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? 
I actually really want to get through this week's Franzen section. And Quiet has been on my radar for awhile now. And there's a chance I may go to a bookstore later and try to find a copy of Coraline...

3. Which snacks are you most looking forward to? 
Hmm haven't really planned those. I have these coconut bar things that are pretty great. It's pretty much a mounds bar without the chocolate. And some carrots if I need to be healthy

4. Tell us a little something about yourself.
I am terrible at planning and assume things will just get figured out on their own. Hasn't happened yet.

5. If you participated in the last readathon, what will you do differently? Or if this is your first, what are you most looking forward to?
I participated a few years ago and I think that was a last minute decision too. But it was fun. I think I'll try to do things mostly the same, except this time around I'll have to be in a few locations, so we'll see how things go.

I haven't decided how I'll update (keep it all in one post? separate posts?) So we'll see. For now I'm going to start with some Franzen and maybe ride the bike while reading.