Thursday, August 1, 2013

July Reading Wrap Up

Holy shit, summer's almost over. That is not fun. I don't remember agreeing to this. I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference since I'm not in school so summer doesn't mean vacation (necessarily) just that it's hot out. I mean, I did go on vacation. Hence that last post. But just that it suddenly becoming fall doesn't mean a change in much for me other than the weather. And yet, I'm still sad that summer is nearing the end. Of course my reading always seems to taper off during the summer so perhaps colder weather means I'll get more done. Or you know, not.

Anyway STATS

Number of books read/listened to
5
World War Z by Max Brooks (audiobook)
Fun & Games by David Michael Slater
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a Young Woman Who Vanished from the Streets of Tokyo - And the Evil that Swallowed Her Up by Richard Lloyd Parry

Number of pages read
1,696

Percentage of fiction
80%

Percentage of female authors
20% - only Rowell, but it kicked so much ass that it's cool.

Percentage of white authors
100% -dammit. And I was SO CLOSE because I've almost finished Native Son, but alas, the month has ended before I've actually finished that one. But at least I've got it for next month

Percentage of US authors
80% plus 1 British guy living in Tokyo

Percentage of eBooks
60% - I like using my Kindle during vacation so that helped

NEW STAT
Percentage of review copies
20% - I decided to start tracking this. This is only the second review book I've read this year. I would have assumed more. Go figure.

Books written by decade
2000s - 20%
2010s - 80%
If I hadn't been keeping these stats I don't think I would have ever noticed how much of what I read is contemporary. I would have assumed a lot of it but not pretty much all of it. And this is why I like keeping these stats.

I know I will have at least 1 non-white, written-before-I-was-born book for next month. But otherwise, who knows.