Friday, June 7, 2013

It's so unfair that you had to die, when you were so good and brave.

It's another Harry Potter Friday, after our BEA break last week. You guys, we're almost done with this readalong and I'm not ready for this to end. What will I do for my Friday posts??

Thanks Alice for hosting this potteralong and beware for there are spoilers.

I didn't write down any notes for this section. I kept thinking "Oh that's a good point. I should write it down so I don't forget." And then I proceeded to do whatever it was I decided was more important than following through with writing shit down.
Mostly this

So, let's see what I can do.

How bad did you feel for Xenophilius? I did not correctly remember this chapter at all. For whatever reason I was thinking Xeno tried to turn Harry over for selfish reasons that had nothing to do with the fact that his daughter had been kidnapped and was probably being tortured RIGHT NOW. I'm not saying I forgive him for calling the Death Eaters. I'm just saying he was between a rock and a hard place, and I don't know what I would have done.


I'm very happy Hermione let the DEs see Harry and therefore the odds that they'd kill Xeno are slightly less? I hope. I'm just generally happy Hermione is there for everything because seriously, Harry and Ron would be so lost without her.

Greyback making vague rape threats towards Hermione: DO NOT LIKE. Obviously I'm not supposed to like it, but maybe we could stick with just the Cruciatus curse?

The Taboo curse on Voldie's name is actually really clever. Good job, Death Eaters.

I don't know what it was, but I didn't cry during Dobby's death. I remember bawling the first time around. Maybe because I knew it was coming. Maybe because I was on the subway. But it didn't hit me like I thought it would. I didn't tear up until Dean and Ron jumped down to help Harry dig Dobby's grave. And then it sort of subsided until Luna spoke. Luna and Neville can always make me cry.

So, that blind and abused dragon guarding the Lestrange vault. There's no wizarding version of ASPCA, huh? They need some Sarah McLachlan guilt commercials.

I like Aberforth, that goat lover. I don't like that he's given up and is ready to give in to Voldemort's reign, but he helps out H/R/Hr. And he gives us more insight into Dumbledore's past. As with everything, it's not quite the rainbows and unicorns version that Elphias Doge told, and we all knew it wasn't like Skeeter's horrible rendition, but instead it falls somewhere in between. I enjoy these shades of gray.

NEVILLE IS BACK! And he is roaring with delight. Neville, you're the best. And thank you for ending this section on a (relatively) happy note.

Also this, because I'll never tire of looking at hot Neville

Until next week. I'm going to have to start stocking up on crying GIFs because no matter how many I have, there are not enough for what is coming.

Title quote from page 480

Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Scholastic, 2007