Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 Reading Stats

2011 is over and it seems this is the time for everyone to reflect on the past year. Most bloggers have been filling out a survey of the best book you read in 2011, the worst book, most often recommended book, etc. I want to fill one of those out (I love surveys and talking about myself) but I know I'd never be able to think of answers to these. I'm sure I'd forget most of the books I read and all of my answers would be books I've read in the last couple months. But I still want to play along with some sort of wrap up, so here are my reading stats for the year.

Number of books read
59!

Number of pages read
18,254

Percentage of fiction
66%

Percentage of female authors
34%

Percentage of white authors
81%

Percentage of US authors
77%

Percentage of ebooks
39%

Percentage of re-reads
22%

Books written by decade
1810s - 2%
1840s - 2%
1880s - 2%
1950s - 3%
1960s - 2%
1970s - 3%
1980s - 7%
1990s - 20%
2000s - 38%
2010s - 22%

There are a few surprises for me. I didn't realize I'd read so many books/pages. Go me! I'm also surprised fiction is as low as it is. Then there are the things that didn't surprise me, like how many books are younger than me (thanks Brenna for the idea for that measurement!). I'm hoping the classics challenge will help with that.

I'd make some goals for myself, but that seems to be a set up for failure. Also whenever I start thinking of resolutions I go into Calvin mode and start thinking this, because I am a mature adult:

And if you're curious, here are the wrap up stats from each month. If you feel the need you can check my math month over month to get these year end totals but I warn you, I'm probably wrong somewhere along the way because in order to get the numbers above I had to re-do a bunch of the totals in my spreadsheet because nothing added up.
January Reading Wrap-Up
February Reading Wrap-Up
March Reading Wrap-Up
April Reading Wrap-Up
May Reading Wrap-Up
June Reading Wrap-Up
July Reading Wrap-Up
August Reading Wrap-Up
September Reading Wrap-Up
October Reading Wrap-Up
November Reading Wrap-Up
December Reading Wrap-Up