Monday, May 9, 2011

One Book, Two Book, Red Book, Blue Book?

I was originally hoping to get my post about Tina Fey's book Bossypants up today, but I haven't started writing anything for it yet. I've been running around since Thursday, visiting friends around Boston, going to my brother's college graduation, multiple family dinners, and of course Mother's Day. This gave me reading time but not too much computer time, and thus I'm unprepared today. Then I saw this quick meme on both My Reader's Block and Soy Chai Bookshelf and decided that was enough book blogger peer pressure for me to take part in this as well. It was originally done over at Stuck in a Book.

1. The book I'm currently reading: Who Are You People: A Personal Journey into the Heart of Fanatical Passion in America by Shari Caudron. I've read this before and I was originally going to read it now as a light hearted choice after Rollin's Black Coffee Blues. I started it, but then I ended up bringing my Kindle with me to Boston so I wouldn't have to worry about running out of books and downloaded Fey's book. I guess this means I fulfilled my lighthearted read quota, but screw it, I'm reading this one too. I haven't read about Trekkies and furries and Josh Groban fans in awhile.

2. The last book I finished: Tina Fey's Bossypants which is was hilarious. I'll have something written about it soon. Promises.

3. The next book I want to read: I'm not good at picking a next book. Hell, I had just picked a next book with Who Are You People and then changed it after 10 pages. I'm bad at making and sticking to plans. So tentatively speaking, I'm planning on reading Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad next. Hopefully I stick to that, because I do actually want to read it.

4. The last book I bought: Now I feel repetitive but Bossypants. Kindle makes it dangerously easy to buy new books. I think it took all of 45 seconds to get this one.

5. The last book I was given: Part of my Boston trip involved moving my brother out of his dorm room (super fun, I know). He took a class called science and magic or something along those lines. Anyway, he had some books that he forgot to sell back so I took them off his hands cos hey, free books. I came away with Magic in the Middle Ages by Richard Kieckhefer, Revolutionizing the Sciences by Peter Dear and Galileo's Daughterby Dava Sobel. I haven't actually heard of any of these so we'll see how this goes. My brother also had a book he had bought that he said was so boring he was falling asleep while reading it. How can you turn down a book with an endorsement like that, so I took The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein off his hands. I'm prepared to be annoyed by it. Preconceived notions, great way to go into a book!