Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Shakespeare!

That is the question
At least it's probably his birthday today. For those uneducated in the minutia of Shakespeare (a.k.a. non-super nerds), the only record is that Shakespeare was baptized on April 26th, 1564. Traditionally a person was baptized 3 days after birth, hence April 23rd for his birthday. Plus he died on April 23rd in 1616 so it makes it easier to remember these dates if they're all the same.

In what is becoming a tradition here on holidays, I figure I'd link to some past posts I've written about Shakespeare. See this way I get something appropriate to the day posted, whether or not I'm reading anything about that topic at the time AND I get to drive traffic to some of my past posts. I suppose I could have worded that to explain what it is you dear readers are getting, but that would feel like a lie. I mean I hope you find some past posts you enjoy. I'm certainly not trying to lead you to crap. And on that positive note, here are those posts!

The Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr (abridged) by the Reduced Shakespeare Company
I think you showed a lot of heart, a lot of courage, a lot of -- as Shakespeare would say -- "chutzpah"

Othello by William Shakespeare
The Law of Transitives and...Othello?

My Name is Will: A Novel of Sex, Drugs and Shakespeare by Jess Winfield
[Maybe] I'll find the meaning of life in a sonnet

Fool by Christopher Moore
We're all Fate's bastards

A Top Ten Tuesday...on a Wednesday
Favorite Shakespeare Quotes

Soul of the Age: A Biography of the Mind of William Shakespeare by Jonathan Bate
All the world's a stage
A sonnet is a crystallization of the emotion of a moment
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything

Reduced Shakespeare: The Complete Guide for the Attention Impaired (abridged) by Reed Martin and Austin Tichenor
We kick the pedestal out from under Shakespeare and make him accessible once again to the grubby, semiliterate, easily distracted masses